Friday, March 30, 2012

Fangirl Friday!

Happy Birthday to Robbie Coltrane, Warren Beatty, and John Astin!!!

So, I'm still coming down from the awesomeness of The Hunger Games. Despite the fact that I had to sit in the third row, all the way to the right, and in front of two chatterboxes (at least the girl was asking her guy questions about the story which led me to believe he had read the book), I still loved the movie! I only have two small criticisms, but they're not really worth mentioning.

I'd like to try something a little different today. I usually talk about up and coming fangirl events like new movies or books, but today I'd like to talk about some things that I feel every nerdgirl should know about. I wouldn't judge you if you didn't know about these things, of course. This article, On the Fake Geek Girl, from The Mary Sue got me to thinking about how wrong it is to look down on someone who calls themselves a geek, but doesn't seem to know the things they should. Geekdom is an all inclusive club! Anyone can join!

So, let's start with:

The Classics: Movies 101


I'm talking all the Star Wars movies (yes, even Episode I: The Phantom Menace, Jar Jar Binks can be the butt of every geeky joke and you need to know why).


Also, Lord of the Rings. You need to know what someone means when they eye your yummy cupcake and say, "The preciousssss!" 

This isn't the Gollum you were expecting to see, right? This one is from The Hobbit cartoon which I watched tons of times as a kid. 
What's that? You've already seen these? Good! You're well on your way to being able to geek-talk with the best of 'em. How about Evil Dead 1 and 2 and Army of Darkness? Be able to use the phrase, "I'll swallow your soul! I'll swallow your soul!" with confidence. Also, find out why Bruce Campbell is amazing. And you can follow him on twitter, @GroovyBruce, he always has a picture for every tweet. More evidence that he is a superhero.

This is my BOOM STICK!
Star Trek!!! The movies, the TV series (all of them). Know who people are impersonating when... they Talk... Like this... I mean, who doesn't want to have a Holodeck, right?


All comic book movies. Iron Man 1&2, all the Hulks, Thor, Hellboy, Spiderman, all the Supermans, and Batman (from the Tim Burton ones, to Joel Schumacher, and the more recent Christopher Nolan ones). Even the bad ones like Daredevil, Elektra, and the third X-Men (which isn't horrible, I guess, but it pissed me right off). Plus, there are some that you might not have known they were based on comics like: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Sin City, Road to Perdition, Wanted (starring the yummy James McAvoy who also plays Professor Xavier in X-Men: First Class), Cowboys & Aliens, 30 Days of Nights, From Hell, Ghost World, The Losers (2010), MonkeyBone, Surrogates, Tank Girl, plus many many many more. There are plenty I haven't mentioned here, I'm sure.

Akira... Oh, Akira... They are actually in the works of turning this anime into a Hollywood movie, but there's a ton of controversy revolving around the casting's white washing. And, I'm sorry, I DO NOT want to see Akira played by Robert Pattinson.


What is the first thing you think of when I say the word, "shiny"? For me it's Firefly, the Joss Whedon TV series (actually, anything from Joss Whedon is amazing) that was canceled after one season and still has legions of fans. Watch Serenity only AFTER watching the show... Or don't, it's all awesome!


Okay, we'll stop here and I'll pick back up next Friday. In the meantime, have I missed any? Post in the comments!!!

P.S. Harry Potter won't be discussed here because I really want to do an entire post about the boy who lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Living the Dream Copyright © 2012 Design by Rachel Silberman to fit Leah Rae Miller