Friday, April 29, 2011

YA Review: Ultraviolet by R.J. Anderson

In One Sentence: That's it, I'm buying everything this woman has ever written!

Here's the description from R. J. Anderson's website:


Once upon a time there was a girl who was special.
This is not her story.
Unless you count the part where I killed her.
 

Sixteen-year-old Alison has been sectioned in a mental institute for teens, having murdered the most perfect and popular girl at school. But the case is a mystery: no body has been found, and Alison's condition is proving difficult to diagnose. Alison herself can't explain what happened: one minute she was fighting with Tori -- the next she disintegrated. Into nothing. But that's impossible. Right?



Prepare yourself, folks, because I'm about to go off! In a good way, that is.


I heart this book, wait, ya know what, I don't just heart it, I LOVE it! Where to start??? The writing is stupendous. It's the kind of writing that would make any writer (including myself) totally, butt-crazy jealous. With the main character being able to see sounds, taste words, and assign specific emotions to names, it would be a challenge for any writer to convey this. R. J.'s descriptions are spot on. Reading them was like sitting down to a box of gourmet chocolates. "Let's see what the Creme Brulee flavor tastes like. Mmmm, yep, that's it." They are definitely meant to be savored.


Oh, and the characters! Every one is fleshed out wonderfully. I felt for Alison and completely understood her. She is now my new hero. The other patients at Pine Hills, the mental institution for young people that Alison ends up at, were interesting and never cliche. Every character had a back story that fit them perfectly and made them all the more real. The relationships between everyone were interesting, sometimes surprising, and they always, always served the story in just the right way. And don't even get me started on our guy, Faraday *grin*.


The story itself is original and I NEVER got bored with it. It goes from paranormal to murder mystery to sci-fi to love story to everything in between. I tend to judge a book by whether or not I can figure out the ending early. Not happening in Ultraviolet! I was surprised at every twist and turn. Here's how obsessed I was with reading this: I knew my in-laws were coming over and my poor house desperately needed cleaning. I found a way to read while I washed dishes... I risked plugging in my ereader next to the sink just to read!


This book is slated to come out in September 2011 and you can bet your sweet bippy I'll be pushing it until then. And you can bet I'll be pre-ordering my copy as soon as I get done writing this.


Bottom Line: Get excited about this one because it tastes delectable, sounds like rain, and is the perfect shade of lavender! Pre-order it today!


Follow up: When asked on Twitter if there will be a second book, the author (@rj_anderson , follow her, love her) said there will be and QUICKSILVER is the title! *squee & swoon*

1 comment:

  1. I got to read the ARC as well, and I whole-heartedly concur. ;)

    ReplyDelete

 

Living the Dream Copyright © 2012 Design by Rachel Silberman to fit Leah Rae Miller