Saturday, July 7, 2012

Teen Cult Classics

I was talking with my husband the other day about my characters. I mentioned something about how the characters might have known each other as children, maybe played video games when they were little kids.

"Aw, yeah," he said, "I can see them hanging out playing Nintendo."

"No, they wouldn't have played Nintendo," I said.

"Super Nintendo?"

"Nope, try Playstation 2," I said.

"Oh my God, I'm so OLD!"

This conversation got me to thinking. My generation's classics are completely different from my target audience's classics. I watched Care Bears and Rainbow Bright. They watched Dora the Explorer and Blue's Clues. I played Nintendo and Sega. They played PS2 and XBox. I was obsessed with Leonardo Dicaprio (who am I kidding with that "was", I still am obsessed with him). They're into Zac Efron. 

So, here's my question, what are this generation's cult classic movies? I wasn't entirely sure so I went to the most knowledgeable source: My 19 year old niece. 

Her immediate answer was, "Mean Girls!!!! Hands down."



Then she said, "People quote The Hangover, too." 


So, what do you guys think? Do you have anymore? 

5 comments:

  1. Easy A. That movie's awesome. The teen girls I know are also lusting after Leo bc they watched Titanic & Romeo & Juliet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Cindi LOVE Easy A and I could totally see it as a favorite of today's teens. And the fact that teen girls are still lusting after Leo reaffirms my faith in humanity ;)

    @Bethany Is that a personal teen fav.? I guess it could potentially be a fav. for today's teen, but it came out in 2001. Today's 17 year old would have only been 6. Then again, it could be a fav. for college age (New Adult) who are still part of the target audience. Plus, a nerdy teen (like my MC) would have definitely sought something like Donnie Darko out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Twilight, Napoleon Dynamite, Superbad, Bring it On, Juno, and The Notebook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (I'm a 90s child but so this is only my opinion)
    Bring it On!
    Mean Girls
    The Hangover
    The Notebook
    Superbad
    Donnie Darko
    ALL THE SUPERHERO MOVIES...lol...Spiderman, Amazing Spiderman, Batman (Chris Nolan versions), Avengers, Thor, etc
    Titanic
    The Hunger Games

    ReplyDelete

 

Living the Dream Copyright © 2012 Design by Rachel Silberman to fit Leah Rae Miller