Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Day 8: Just Plow Through it...

I read on Natalie Whipple's blog that she tried to write at least 1000 words a day. I wasn't feeling well and I was at a point in the story that wasn't one of the more exciting scenes (that's probably a sign that I need to rewrite it) but I wanted, no needed, to write something.

I know my mode of operation. I'm a procrastinator in the worst way. I'm the Procrastinator *Arnold voice* "I'll be back... Maybe."

So the idea of getting down something just to get to 1000 words appealed. I plowed through that scene which incredibly made me think more about the characters involved and I ended up making them way more interesting. Yay, me!

Right after that scene is one that I've been very excited to write. But by the time I really got to it, it was too late and my brain wanted to shut down.

Anyway, my point is: at the beginning I didn't even want to write but by forcing myself to do so, I came up with A LOT more meat for the story and I ended up writing 1200 words instead of just 1000.

True, what I did write might have to be fixed up but I found out what I wanted to accomplish with the scene and more. So, if, at this point in my writing experience I'm allowed to give advice, I say listen to Natalie Whipple and just plow through, get at least 1000 words a day because those 1000 words might just turn into way more than you had hoped.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Living the Dream Copyright © 2012 Design by Rachel Silberman to fit Leah Rae Miller